Wifi connection issues with Intel?

poma pomidorabelisima at gmail.com
Sat Jun 14 16:04:45 UTC 2014

On 14.06.2014 15:52, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 14, 2014 at 7:17 AM, poma <pomidorabelisima at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 14.06.2014 05:21, Richard Shaw wrote:
>>
>>> Well thanks for all the pointers and ideas but I think I've got it "fixed"
>>> now... I'm still not sure what caused the breakage though...
>>>
>>> I noticed there was a new release of the UniFi software (3.2.1) and
>>> managed
>>> to upgrade it and then updated the firmware on the AP, now the laptop is
>>> connecting with 802.11n again.
>>>

>> Super duper!
>> What are the actual speeds achieved with Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235
>> i.e. iwlwifi in N-mode?
>> Min&Max, Up&Down.
>

> I downloaded a recording from my MythTV box, so plain http file transfer,
> and it peaked over 5MB/s! Looking at iwconfig the max connection speed (I
> assume this is aggregate) was 144.4Mbit.

Data Rate for MCS index 15 in HT20 mode[1].

> I then did an scp transfer from the laptop to my desktop and it averaged
> around 2.5MB/s so that's still pretty respectable for 2.4GHz wifi.

Actual speed "should" be a "little" faster, considering I've seen higher speeds in G-mode.
However.

> The few limitations of the software notwithstanding, Ubiquity seems to make
> decent stuff for almost consumer grade prices. I need to do some testing on
> a virgin install since I don't want to mess up my working installation but
> I plan on packaging the UniFi software for Fedora. Unfortunately due to it
> being non-FOSS it will have to go into RPM Fusion non-free but that's
> better than not being packaged at all!
>
> Thanks,
> Richard

For the same price category you can get e.g. TL-WDR4310[2] which is BTW covered[4] for free by the dd-wrt(v1.x) and OpenWRT(v1.0), has newer Atheros SoC with additional USB functionality, etc.

poma

[1] http://mcsindex.com/
[2] http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wdr4310
       http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/ubiquiti/unifi