Volume too low on F20 (32bit)

Oliver Ruebenacker curoli at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 20:22:38 UTC 2014

     Hello,

On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 6:02 AM, Ian Malone <ibmalone at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2 June 2014 16:25, Oliver Ruebenacker <curoli at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >      Hello,

> packages
> for

> pavucontrol,
> >> >

> >> When using alsamixer are you looking at the volume for pulseaudio or
> >> at the hardware mixer volume? (Use F6 to change the device you're
> >> looking at.)
> >

> >   Thanks for suggesting F6. I have no idea what all these dials in
> alsamixer
> > mean, but I rotated through all I could find with F6 and set all to
> maximum
> > (most were already), but unfortunately I noticed no change in volumne.
> >

> I'd expect to see an entry in the F6 menu for any hardware devices you
> have and one for pulseaudio if you're still using it.
> e.g. this RHEL system shows:
> - (default)
> 0 HDA Intel PCH
> 1 HDA NVidia
>
> Where '-' is the pulseaudio entry (on my Fedora systems it call itself
> pulseaudio), 0 is the onboard soundcard and 1 is the HDMI sound. I'd
> then try adjusting 'master' on the hardware one. If it makes no
> difference going up and down then you're not adjusting the right
> mixer. One thing that can be a bit confusing is when you adjust the
> pulse volume it will adjust the hardware mixer volume (because it's
> better to adjust the overall level through the hardware mixer rather
> than set levels in software), to get that right it relies on
> information from the soundcard driver. So if that's going wrong and
> you adjust the hardware mixer then the pulseaudio level then it will
> undo your changes to the hardware mixer.
>
> Further thoughts: what is your audio hardware? Have you had it playing
> louder than this previously?
> It might be necessary to take it up with the ALSA people if it's a
> problem with the levels being set on your hardware mixer.

  I can lower the volume by lowering some volume controls, what I meant was
I can't get it any higher by setting those to highest that had not yet been.

  Volume worked fine (i.e. was high enough) when the machine was running
Windows XP.

  AlsaMixer recognizes PulseAudio and an Intel ICH5 card with a Analog
Devices AD1981B chip.

  I was assuming I don't need any additional driver but maybe I do?

  Thanks!

     Best,
     Oliver

> --
> imalone
> http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk
> --

Oliver Ruebenacker
Founder at Relomics Consulting <http://www.relomics.com>
Be always grateful, but never satisfied.