Save everybody some surprises in Fedora 22!

Lars E. Pettersson lars at homer.se
Mon Jun 16 20:02:52 UTC 2014

On 06/16/14 14:45, Jan Zelený wrote:
> We originally didn't want to implement anything like this for three reasons:
>
> a) in our opinion, dnf should not do the thinking for admins

It should have sensible defaults so that a user can not hose the system
by accident.

What would the use case be to remove the running kernel? If no use case
exist, then why have that option exposed to the user?

> b) the real impact of this feature is questionable

Try 'dnf remove kernel' and see what happens. Then try to fix the problem.

> c) we don't want dnf to contain ugly hacks from the beginning

I do not regard sensible defaults as a hack.

> ad b) how many times have this feature actually saved you from erasing the
> kernel? In 10+ years using Linux I have never managed to do this accidentally.

Well, with 'yum erase kernel' you can not accidentally remove the
running kernel, so what is your point? :)

> feel free to reopen the bug too, otherwise it might get off the radar.

How do I, as a normal user, re-open a bug? Can not see any way more than
cloning it. Is that how it's supposed to be done? (Google gave no
conclusive answer)

Lars
--
Lars E. Pettersson <lars at homer.se>