Why won't smbd and nmbd start automatically on system start?

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 13:20:45 UTC 2014

On 06/18/2014 09:02 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 06/18/14 20:59, Temlakos wrote:
>> $ systemctl status smb.service
>> smb.service - Samba SMB Daemon
>>     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/smb.service; disabled)
>>     Active: inactive (dead)
>>
>> [Temlakos at temlakos ~]$ systemctl status nmb.service
>> nmb.service - Samba NMB Daemon
>>     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/nmb.service; disabled)
>>     Active: inactive (dead)
> Yep....  disabled
>
> systemctl enable smb.service
> systemctl enable nmb.service
>
> And they will start at boot time....
>
> systemctl start smb.service
> systemctl start nmb.service
>
> To get them going without having to boot.
>
> systemd is the "new" kid in town.  Read up on it in the link I provided.

Thank you for that tip.

Bottom line: both those services are now enabled, and activate cleanly
on system restart (or start from shutdown).

Now when I try to start either one in runtime, I get an SELinux alert.
But as long as I simply do a restart or a cold start, such alerts do not
happen. (I always "sudo" such commands, BTW. I made myself a member of
Wheel.)

Connectivity is automatic once again.

Temlakos