Save everybody some surprises in Fedora 22!

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 21:17:43 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-06-18 at 20:40 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Jun 2014 15:28:44 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> 	[....]
> > Do you have the bug reference? I'd rather find out before dnf leaves me
> > with a non-bootable system. The reason I'm harping on about it is that
> > in a thread on this list a few months back the developers didn't seem to
> > think it was a bug.
>
> 	Hmmmm .... I have two oldish machines, which I took to the shop
> 	(I don't speak hardware) because neither would finish booting.
> 	They called me in a day or two, saying neither was worth fixing.
>
> 	They didn't say what was wrong, and I didn't think to ask. Fwiw,
> I've been running yum and dnf more or less alternately since I heard of
> dnf.
>
> 	Is there a site somewhere, explaining this bug, at a level I'm
> 	likely to be able to follow?

The "feature" of dnf that I complained about is that it could remove
every kernel, leaving you with an unbootable system (that was said to be
the situation at the time of the earlier thread) but it doesn't sound
like a cause of your booting problems. Complete absence of a kernel
would be more noticeable than a boot not finishing.

poc