Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card for Dell Inspiron 1545: How to Drive It!

Paul Cartwright pbcartwright at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 12:56:07 UTC 2014

On 06/19/2014 06:55 AM, Temlakos wrote:
> I gather those commands give me a place to go to get the firmware and
> put it in. I never installed any firmware.
read what Poma said:

And even with that, you should install the firmware,
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#Device_firmware_installation

$ man 1 b43-fwcutter
$ less /usr/share/doc/b43-fwcutter/README.too
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43/developers

you need to install the b43-fwcutter firmware..

> By the way: the Dell Inspiron 1545 has a button with a picture of a
> wireless antenna tower on it. I assume that works in the Windows
> environment to turn wireless connectivity on and off. Does it work at
> all in the Linux environment? Or may I safely ignore it? (It also functi
if you press the button to activate it, it should light up ( turn blue?)
on my dell, there is a bunch of lights above the function keys that show
( left to right) disk activity, battery, then the wireless tower icon (
lit up, as I am using wireless)

--
Paul Cartwright