slightly OT: incremental backup suggestions

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Thu Jun 19 18:25:17 UTC 2014

On 06/19/2014 11:16 AM, Steven Stern wrote:
> I'm using rdiff-backup and it's remarkably easy to backup but when
> backing up HUGE files (like a VM image) it can take a long time, because
> the receiving side compares the two files and stores only the
> difference.  This is good for disk space but bad for CPU usage.

I'm using Back In Time to back up my desktop to a flash drive.  As the
program uses links to represent files that haven't changed (a great
saving in both time and space) provided that the target media can
support them, I've reformatted the drive to ext4.  Currently, I have
about 31GB of data backed up to a 16GB drive, with about 8GB still free.
  This may or may not be the right solution for you, but it's worked
just fine for me.

And, in case anybody's wondering, I once deleted a folder I didn't need
any more then restored it from the backup, just to make sure that the
restore function worked as advertised.