apcupsd.conf: Which cable type for remote UPS on network?

Paul Cartwright pbcartwright at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 20:05:22 UTC 2014

On 06/20/2014 02:58 PM, lee wrote:
> Hi,
>
> what type of cable am I supposed to put into apcupsd.conf for an UPS
> which is connected to a remote computer and monitored over the network?

from /etc/apcupsd/apcupsd.conf:

I would choose ether
and upstype net hostname:port

# UPSCABLE <cable>
#   Defines the type of cable connecting the UPS to your computer.
#
#   Possible generic choices for <cable> are:
#     simple, smart, ether, usb

# To get apcupsd to work, in addition to defining the cable
# above, you must also define a UPSTYPE, which corresponds to
# the type of UPS you have (see the Description for more details).
# You must also specify a DEVICE, sometimes referred to as a port.
# For USB UPSes, please leave the DEVICE directive blank. For
# other UPS types, you must specify an appropriate port or address.
#
# UPSTYPE   DEVICE           Description
# apcsmart  /dev/tty**       Newer serial character device, appropriate for
#                            SmartUPS models using a serial cable (not USB).
#
# usb       <BLANK>          Most new UPSes are USB. A blank DEVICE
#                            setting enables autodetection, which is
#                            the best choice for most installations.
#
# net       hostname:port    Network link to a master apcupsd through
apcupsd's
#                            Network Information Server. This is used if the
#                            UPS powering your computer is connected to a
#                            different computer for monitoring.

--
Paul Cartwright