apcupsd.conf: Which cable type for remote UPS on network?

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Sat Jun 21 09:10:41 UTC 2014

Anthony Messina <amessina at messinet.com> writes:

> On Friday, June 20, 2014 08:58:02 PM lee wrote:
>> what type of cable am I supposed to put into apcupsd.conf for an UPS
>> which is connected to a remote computer and monitored over the network?
>
> I'm using "UPSCABLE ether"

Me too, and I think it's not right because it's for UPSs that do have an
ethernet port.  So I'm not sure what the software does:

Will it try to contact an UPS connected to whatever type of cable
specified because it needs to be told somehow that there is no UPS
connected to the computer?

Will it try only once and then give up?

I could very well have several UPSs connected to several computers and
monitor a number of them via network and another number of them via some
cables ...

So there needs to be a way to tell the software not to use a cable.

--
Fedora release 20 (Heisenbug)