Fedora 20 on Dell Precision M3850

fedora fedora at ayni.com
Mon Jun 23 07:45:57 UTC 2014

On 2014-06-23 07:10, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> According to FedEx, my new machine is on a truck speeding to my
> local distribution center for delivery tomorrow. So hopefully it will
> be here tomorrow. I had two questions:
>
> 1) It comes with Windoze 7 (with an upgrade option/disc for W8). Not
> sure if I want to wipe it off (ideally, I would have liked to have not
> paid for it) but I was wondering if I wanted to do a dual boot, is
> there a set of instructions somewhere that I could follow? I have had no
> problems with earlier windoze xp unProfessional dual installs, but not
> with W7 or W8 (have not even seen a machine with this one). I do wonder
> about keeping an OS I am likely to only use when I am talking to some
> technical support for some service. Somehow the ones that require
> contacting technical support always want you to use IE. I bluff my way
> through on these ones.
>
> 2) This laptop has touchscreen abilities. While I could in general care
> less about this feature, again I did not have an option to get rid of
> it. So, I wonder if it is possible to use the touchscreen features with
> Fedora 20?
>
> Am I better off trying CentOS on this machine because of the two
> questions above? I would however like to stick to Fedora.
>
> Many shanks,
> Ranjan

Hi Ranjan
regarding question 1) I got a PC (Desktop) with fully installed Windoze
7 as well. I then told the Fedora Installer to shrink the Windoze
partition. Then I installed Fedora (without dual boot). And on Linux I
installed VirtualBox and I made Windoze 7 to operate in VirtualBox.
This way, I don't need to reboot, but can start Windoze like a Fedora
application.

suomi