Fedora 20 on Dell Precision M3850

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Mon Jun 23 13:02:35 UTC 2014

On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 06:55:24 -0500 Ranjan Maitra
<maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 09:45:57 +0200 fedora <fedora at ayni.com> wrote:
>

> > On 2014-06-23 07:10, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > According to FedEx, my new machine is on a truck speeding to my
> > > local distribution center for delivery tomorrow. So hopefully it will
> > > be here tomorrow. I had two questions:
> > >
> > > 1) It comes with Windoze 7 (with an upgrade option/disc for W8). Not
> > > sure if I want to wipe it off (ideally, I would have liked to have not
> > > paid for it) but I was wondering if I wanted to do a dual boot, is
> > > there a set of instructions somewhere that I could follow? I have had no
> > > problems with earlier windoze xp unProfessional dual installs, but not
> > > with W7 or W8 (have not even seen a machine with this one). I do wonder
> > > about keeping an OS I am likely to only use when I am talking to some
> > > technical support for some service. Somehow the ones that require
> > > contacting technical support always want you to use IE. I bluff my way
> > > through on these ones.
> > >
> > > 2) This laptop has touchscreen abilities. While I could in general care
> > > less about this feature, again I did not have an option to get rid of
> > > it. So, I wonder if it is possible to use the touchscreen features with
> > > Fedora 20?
> > >
> > > Am I better off trying CentOS on this machine because of the two
> > > questions above? I would however like to stick to Fedora.
> > >
> > > Many shanks,
> > > Ranjan
> > >

> > Hi Ranjan
> > regarding question 1) I got a PC (Desktop) with fully installed Windoze
> > 7 as well. I then told the Fedora Installer to shrink the Windoze
> > partition. Then I installed Fedora (without dual boot). And on Linux I
> > installed VirtualBox and I made Windoze 7 to operate in VirtualBox.
> > This way, I don't need to reboot, but can start Windoze like a Fedora
> > application.
> >

> Thank you! This is a great idea! Are there detailed instructions on how
> to do this, telling the obscure Fedora installer to shrink the Windoze
> partition? Can the Windoze partition stay updated?

So, I found this:

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/how-to-install-windows-7-in-virtualbox-guide-hatryst

Is this on the lines of what you are suggesting? Even though I have
windows on the other partition? Do I need to create this bootable usb?

> I would also really like to have 2) answered also if possible.

Thanks,
Ranjan