Cntrl-Alt-F[2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12] do not work

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 20:06:44 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 1:43 PM, Rick Stevens <ricks at alldigital.com> wrote:

> On 06/23/2014 12:20 PM, JD issued this missive:
>

>> On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 9:16 AM, Laing, Robin
>> <Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca <mailto:Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca>> wrote:
>>
>>     On 2014-06-22 13:20, JD wrote:
>>      > Using Mate on FC20, with latest updates.
>>      > Cntrl-Alt-F keys never worked from the very first login into Mate
>>     Desktop.
>>      >
>>      > These are the installed mate packages. Am I missing something?
>>      >
>>      > It my be worthwhile to note that at the login screen, Cntrl-Alt-F
>>     keys DO
>>      > WORK!!
>>      > After login, into mate desktop, they stop working.
>>      >

>>     Is there something that is happening to the keyboard mapping?  My
>>     keyboards require a function key to be set to use the Function keys.
>>  Is
>>     this being reset when Mate starts?
>>

>>     showkey can be used to see if they are working.
>>
>>     On my keyboard, if the F lock button is not pushed, then the keys send
>>     anything.
>>

>>     xkeycaps as well.
>>

>> ​My KB is the laptop's KB (Dell Latitude E6500)
>> There is no F-Lock key that I can see.​
>> Tried showkey and pressed Cntrl-Alt-F2
>>

>> # showkey
>> kb mode was ?UNKNOWN?
>> [ if you are trying this under X, it might not work
>> since the X server is also reading /dev/console ]
>> press any key (program terminates 10s after last keypress)...
>>
>> ​By the above warning, it seems useless to try showkey under X
>> But here goes ....​
>>

> Trying them from my machine...
>
>  keycode  29 press
>>

> That's correct for the left control key
>
>  keycode  56 press
>>

> That's correct for the left ALT key
>
>  keycode  60 press
>>

> Looks OK for the F2 key on my machine. Note that it also echoes
> "^[OQ" when I press F2.
>
>  keycode  60 release
>> keycode  56 release
>> keycode  29 release
>>
>> ​And still no effect.​
>>

> If you're trying to get to a text console, please make sure the
> getty.target service is running:
>
>         # systemctl status getty.target
>
> If it's not running, then the system won't spawn an agetty for the
> console you're trying to get to. IIRC, getty.target is wanted by the
> multiuser.target, so if you launched X by some means other than via
> a multiuser boot, then that's likely your problem.

​Thank you Rick.
As I already replied to the list, getty is indeed running:
​
​$​
  ps -ef | grep getty
root      2194     1  0 Jun22 tty2     00:00:00 /sbin/agetty --noclear tty2
root      2199     1  0 Jun22 tty3     00:00:00 /sbin/agetty --noclear tty3
root      2202     1  0 Jun22 tty4     00:00:00 /sbin/agetty --noclear tty4
root      2205     1  0 Jun22 tty5     00:00:00 /sbin/agetty --noclear tty5
root      2208     1  0 Jun22 tty6     00:00:00 /sbin/agetty --noclear tty6
root      2211     1  0 Jun22 tty7     00:00:00 /sbin/agetty --noclear tty7
root      2214     1  0 Jun22 tty8     00:00:00 /sbin/agetty --noclear tty8
root      2217     1  0 Jun22 tty9     00:00:00 /sbin/agetty --noclear tty9
​
My KB also issues ^[OQ when I press the F2 key by itself.

I am going to try another idea and get back to the list.
I am suspecting something in my

~/.gconf/
~/.gconfd/
~/.gnome2/