Yum/dnf Search Functionality

Stephen Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Mon Jun 23 21:25:14 UTC 2014

On 06/23/2014 07:02 PM, Jonathan Dieter wrote:
> On 06/23/2014 12:49 AM, Stephen Morris wrote:
>> Hi,
>>      I undertook a search for the string      blueray   in both yum and
>> dnf and both, in my view, behaved strangely.
>>
>>      From yum I received the following messages:
>>
>> yum search Blueray
> <snip>
>
> This doesn't deal with yum/dnf messages, but if you're looking for
> bluray packages, perhaps 'yum search bluray' would work better?

I apologise for my previous mail, I was trying to get that as a separate
thread and failed big time.
I issued the commands   yum search bluray    dnf search bluray smart
search bluray   all of which use the same set of repositories, and yum
and dnf found libbluray packages, but nothing that was a bluray gui
front end, but smart showed a couple of additional packages, one of
which I actually have installed (which was Handbrake). Does this mean
that yum and dnf only search non-installed package descriptions/names?

regards,
Steve