numeric keypad craziness

Mike Wright mike.wright at mailinator.com
Wed Jun 25 02:42:35 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I have a bunch of Xen VMs running an assortment of Fedora versions and I
connect to each of them via VNC.  Each occupies an individual workspace
in Domain-0.  Everybody shares the keyboard and mouse.  Works great.

However, on one VM the 10-key part of the keyboard, when NumLock is on,
doesn't work correctly.  The behavior is different depending upon
whether it is in single keypress mode or whether it has gone into
auto-repeat mode, where it behaves correctly.

The craziness starts in single key press mode where there are various
behaviors depending on whether it is typing into a console, an xterm, or
a GUI window, such as this Thunderbird, and whether it is an arrow key
or one of the named keys (Ins, Del, Home, End, PgUp, PgDn).

In all cases the named keys perform their non-NumLock action.  In GUI
apps and the consoles the arrow keys perform their arrow action but in
an xterm the arrow keys type a letter: 8->A, 2->B, 6->C, 4->D.

This survives reboots (the whole system) and restarts (just this VM).

For the record, each VM keyboard is set to Generic 105 key international
layout and the NumLock key is on.

I know almost nothing about how the keyboard subsystem works.  Anybody
have any idea where to go from here?

Thanks,
Mike Wright