Dell Inspiron 1545 touchpad suddenly s-l-o-w

Andreas M. Kirchwitz amk at spamfence.net
Sat Jun 28 20:46:23 UTC 2014

Temlakos <temlakos at gmail.com> wrote:

 > The latest updates--pushed yesterday--cause the touchpad on my Dell
 > Inspiron 1545 to run v-e-r-y s-l-o-w.
 >
 > It was so bad, I tried to reinstall Fedora.
 > At first the reinstall restored the swift movement of the touchpad pointer.
 > But as soon as it took the updates, everything slowed down once again.

I'm glad that the problem seems to be solved by upcoming Xorg updates,
but I had the same problem, and one of the recent Xorg updates screwed
up the touchpad driver. The old package had gone on all servers so
there was no way to rollback to the previous version. (Usual problem
with Fedora, rollback of updates is useless if servers don't keep
the complete package history.)

The Gnome login screen was unusable and - after login - the Touchpad
settings didn't do anything.

Just for the records, there's a workaround. First, I found out that
(after login) Touchpad settings could be changed with "synclient".
For example, MaxSpeed=10 and MinSpeed=5 made the Touchpad work again.

However, to make Gnome login screen work, the Xorg server needed to
be fixed. I've put this in "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-touchpad.conf":

	Section "InputClass"
		Identifier "touchpad"
		Driver "synaptics"
		MatchIsTouchpad "on"
		Option "MinSpeed" "5"
		Option "MaxSpeed" "10"
		Option "AccelFactor" "2"
	EndSection

The magic here is in "AccelFactor" otherwise MinSpeed/MaxSpeed
have no effect.

With the changed Xorg settings, the Gnome Touchpad Settings now
worked as well.

Btw, Touchpad was always fine in the Linux Console with GPM.
Even in times of KMS, the Touchpad driver (or its initialization)
seems to be different in Console and Xorg.

	Greetings, Andreas