Adobereader won't install

Stephen Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Sun Jun 29 21:10:19 UTC 2014

On 06/30/2014 04:23 AM, Temlakos wrote:
> On 06/29/2014 11:16 AM, Mickey wrote:
>> yum -y localinstall AdbeRdr9.5.5-1_i486linux_enu.rpm
>>
>> Yum does install  AdbeRdr9.5.5-1_i486linux_enu.rpm but when I run the
>> command acroread the Adobereader won't start and nothing shows in
>> /var/log/messages.
>
> I think it's because the name of the command is now changed. No longer
> "acroread" but "AdobeReader." Note: that's case-sensitive.
>
> "Acrobat" is now reserved for the PDF /editor/.
>
> And by the way: the latest version is more than a year old.
>
> Where can we find a side-by-side feature table for Adobe Reader v.
> Okular, or whatever the favored PDF viewer is for Gnome?
>
> Temlakos

Hi,
     If the rpm being installed is the one supplied by Adobe, the
command provided is "acroread". On my system the rpm installed its files
into /opt/Adobe, check that the acroread file is executable and that you
have read/write access to all files/folders within that path. I had an
issue with acroread, whereby when I ran it, it produced a dialog
complaining of a file read error and wouldn't run, I also received the
same error when I clicked on widgets to add them to my development
project in Windowbuilder within Eclipse. This error turned out to be a
corrupt profile in ~/.adobe/Acrobat which, when I deleted that
directory, and acrobat recreated it resolved my problems.

regards,
Steve