Ubuntu Boot-Repair-Disk ?

Mickey binarynut at comcast.net
Mon Jun 30 18:04:35 UTC 2014

On 06/30/2014 01:06 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Jun 26, 2014, at 5:24 PM, Mickey <binarynut at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone used the Ubuntu Boot-Repair-Disk on Fedora ?
>>
>> I have grub error on booting on a Fedora 18 Install, and I would like to use the Boot-Repair-Disk.
> I don't recommend doing this. GRUB is essentially forked by the distributions in ways that make various aspects non-interoperable. You're best off booting DVD or Netinstall Fedora media, choosing the troubleshooting submenu and then the rescue a system option. All that does is add rescue boot parameter, which then anaconda picks up, locates your installed system, mounts the parts in the appropriate places. S
> o then all you have to do on a system with BIOS firmware is:
> chroot /mnt/sysimage
> grub2-install /dev/sdX
> grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
> exit
> reboot
>
> If you're doing this on a system with UEFI firmware, it's a bit different.
> chroot /mnt/sysimage
> yum reinstall grub2-efi grub2-tools shim
> grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg
> exit
> reboot
>
> Don't use grub2-install on EFI systems.
>

> Chris Murphy
It does not have a UEFI  firmware on it.

I did try the fedora netinstall disk on it and it can't read it , it is
showing the partitions and it is having what appears to be file system
problems.

In the Rescue mode , it locks up when it gets to the point of running
Anaconda.

I was thinking about putting the hard Drive in my Linux PC and see if I
can check it further.

The computer went bad when the AC power in the house flickerd on and off
a couple of times.