yum update took 99.99% of cpu

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jun 30 20:41:43 UTC 2014

Tim:
>> Hmm, I thought top had an option for a plain text output, but I can't
>> see anything suitable in the man file.  Maybe, long ago, when I did
>> something like that, I just did "less -R output" ("output" being the top
>> text file).

g:
> are you thinking of:
>
>        -b : Batch mode operation
>              Starts top in 'Batch mode', which could be useful for
>              sending output from top to other programs or to a file.
>              In  this  mode,  top will  not  accept input and runs
>              until the iterations limit you've set with the '-n'
>              command-line option or until killed.
>
>         -n : Number of iterations limit as:  -n number
>              Specifies the maximum number of iterations, or frames,
>              top  should produce before ending.

Yes, that's it.  When I looked at the man file, a little while ago, it
just didn't jump out at me as "batch" mode being a cooked output.

As far as the original poster was concerned, I was thinking that getting
a text file created would be less of a problem than taking a screenshot,
on a system where the CPU was being pegged.  It can also be easier to
post pasted text to a mailing list, than deal with uploading and linking
to an image, somewhere.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

public lists.