kdepim (kaddressbook and kmail) lost existing data after upgrade

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Sun Mar 2 20:41:26 UTC 2014

I have been using mostly webmail, but still have a lot of past email and
my contacts stored locally on kdepim.  I had not used the kde applications
for a while, and recently noticed that my old emails and contacts no
longer show up in kmail and kaddress book.  There have been several
updates along the way, so I am not sure when exactly my existing mail and
contacts stopped showing up.

I can still see the messages in my ~/Mail directory, and my contacts seem
to be available as vcf files in ~/.local/share/contacts.

How should I go about making the applications import or otherwise
acknowledge the existing data?  Any idea what changed that would make
kaddressbook and kmail "forget" about the existing data?

--
Chris Caudle