Most Efficient Network File sharing protocol?

Dan Mossor dan.mossor at outlook.com
Tue Mar 4 02:58:36 UTC 2014

> On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 5:13 PM, Mark Haney <mhaney at practichem.com> wrote:
>> On 02/28/14 12:07, Dan Mossor wrote:
>>> What do y'all consider the most efficient network file system? NFS?
>>> SMB? SFTP?
>
> Maybe you should outline your requirements a bit more. For example
> SFTP is not a filesystem, so are you only concerned about end-to-end
> transfer rates?
>
> poc

I am building an environment where I am setting up a local mirror for
Fedora, CentOS, rpmfusion, and Ubuntu. I am using virtual machines to
pull down the data and storing it on a local NAS device. Once a week, I
am building a DVD of updates to transfer them to a disconnected system.

I am trying to determine the best access protocol for the VMs to reach
the NAS. The NAS is not a true NAS device, it is an HP Proliant server
with 8TB of storage running CentOS 6.5, so it can support any transfer
method, including iSCSI. It is already running Samba to support our
local Windows machines, and NFS for my work with Fedora and CentOS.

When the DVD is built, I pull the updates across the local network to my
machine and build the DVD there. These <4GiB transfers sometimes take
close to 3 to 4 hours using NFS, and it is a Gigabit network. rsync
appeared to be a bit faster, but my goal is to find the most efficient
transfer method to move lots of little -and some big - files across a
local network.

I'm wondering about iSCSI - I haven't played with it much, maybe I'll
test it out for this week's updates.

--
Dan Mossor
Systems Engineer at Large