Most Efficient Network File sharing protocol?

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Tue Mar 4 14:33:44 UTC 2014

On 03/04/14 22:23, Fernando Cassia wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 4:48 AM, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at gmail.com <mailto:vvmarko at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     If you do it this way, it should
>     really not matter much which transfer protocol you are using. NFS,
>     samba, ftp, scp, rsync, even http --- they should all give you roughly
>     the same (fast) performance
>

> I disagree. Different protocols introduce different levels of overhead. Hence my suggestion to use netbeui which has lower overhead, at the expense of being non-routeable (only good for a local LAN segment).
>
> That is, if current SAMBA supports the NETBEUI protocol, which I'm not sure. I haven' t used NETBEUI since the Samba 2.x days...

So, you are offering advice to use a protocol which may or may not exist and be available now?  And of which you have no current experience?

Wouldn't it make better sense to cite performance comparisons of the various common protocols?  Maybe articles such as.....

http://lass.cs.umass.edu/papers/pdf/FAST04.pdf

--
Getting tired of non-Fedora discussions and self-serving posts