F20 - HP3050 scanning problems

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Tue Mar 4 19:45:10 UTC 2014

On Tue, Mar 04, 2014 at 12:50:52PM -0600, Kevin Martin wrote:
> On 03/04/2014 11:30 AM, Mark Haney wrote:
> >

> >> Hi Mark,
> >
> >> Thanks for the reply. I used Simple scan as it worked fine on my
> >> previous FC16 build. I am using MATE for a desktop. Thanks again
> >> for the response.
> >

> > No problem.  Honestly, I've never had Simple Scan work for me.  I have
> > a HP DJF300 which has worked flawlessly for 3 or 4 years now.  I'm
> > primarily KDE although I do like Mate (on Linux Mint anyway, never
> > tried it on Fedora).  I use KDE since Gnome has sucked epically for years.
> >
> > I can't recall any MATE scanning packages, and a quick search of the
> > Mint laptop on my desk didn't reveal anything other than Simple Scan.
> >

> Hmm, it's interesting that you say that you can't get Simple Scan to work for you as I've had the *least* amount of problems with
> Simple Scan than any of the other scanner software (with a Canon Pixma printer/scanner).  I guess different setups have their own
> unique bugaboos!
>
> Kevin

I've never used anything BUT simplescan on 3 different scanners (none of 'em are HP), an ancient SCSI scanner,
a Brother MFC device at work, and a new2-ish Epson at home. Each on a different version/distro of Linux.

The Epson is new enough that the versions of SANE and SimpleScan bein g distributed by RH don't know how to
find it, unless you hack at it a bit. I.e., the program will start up and fail to find any scanners. I can
probably go into more detail if you want.

Fred

               Show me your ways, O LORD, teach me your paths;
                     Guide me in your truth and teach me,
                         for you are God my Savior,
                    And my hope is in you all day long.