VEry OT Ruby

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Wed Mar 5 03:30:12 UTC 2014

On 03/05/2014 12:45 PM, Bill Oliver wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Mar 2014, Roger wrote:

>>> advise
>>> your own
>>> demand for
>>> anywhere.
>>> > >
>> Thanks for the info.
>> They have the domain and are using it with the current ISP.
>> Surely just signing up with another ISP is just the same as staying
>> with the current one but with lower cost.
>>
>> How does one have an independent service? Where can I get
>> comprehensive info on this or even running without an ISP.
>> How do I server a CMS web site from another ISP while using the
>> current one that they will not change from?
>>
>> Thanks for help
>> Roger
>

> I'm coming in on this late, so I may not be directly responsive.
> However, I can tell you what I do to set up an independent
> web/mail/name service.  I used to use my ISP's acct from home, and
> paid an extra $15 or so a month for a static ip address.  Since this
> was a personal thing and low in volume, it tended to work OK, though
> when I had friends uploading or downloading files, it would slow to a
> halt -- it was DSL.  My biggest problem, however, was that it went
> down on occasion -- when there was a big storm, there was a power
> outage at home, etc.
>
> So... I went out and got a virtual machine.  It's been great.  I use
> cotse.net, which rents me 5 static ip addresses, 150G hard drive,
> reasonable cpu,  and unmetered bandwidth for $30/month.  I am sure
> that there are other places that are good.   The one thing about cotse
> is that their support does not do much handholding -- they'll
> provision a machine, reboot it if you turn it off, etc., but that's
> about it.  I run CentOS on that box.
>

> billo
Thanks billo. They are on UberGlobal shared server virtual machine,
don't know how many static IP addresses, stacks of email addresses heaps
of database allowance and plenty of disk space for $300 a year and get
the greatest 24 hr email and phone support imaginable and Uber security
protocol is world class which is why they are so strict about the
original problem of not allowing Web frameworks and other stuff.