Today's F20 update of hicolor-icon-theme messed the desktop

Marco Maccaferri macca at maccasoft.com
Wed Mar 5 09:02:32 UTC 2014

Hi,

I did the usual yum update today and after a reboot I found my desktop
all messed and not functioning: the icons on the preferred applications
bar were all stick to each other without the usual border around them,
the search functionality wasn't working, the buttons on the applications
screen weren't visible, and other weird things.

I did a yum history undo, it failed to downgrade some packages
(wondering why since I updated few minutes before) but luckily it
restored the right package and the desktop is working again.

I think that the culprit is hicolor-icon-theme, before opening a bug, do
someone else experienced the same issue ?

For reference, the updated packages are these:

crda-1.1.3_2013.11.27-4.fc20.x86_64
hicolor-icon-theme-0.13-1.fc20.noarch
hwdata-0.261-1.fc20.noarch
iproute-3.12.0-2.fc20.x86_64
lohit-devanagari-fonts-2.94.0-1.fc20.noarch
oddjob-0.31.5-1.fc20.x86_64
oddjob-mkhomedir-0.31.5-1.fc20.x86_64
python-dns-1.11.1-2.fc20.noarch
realmd-0.14.6-4.fc20.x86_64
setroubleshoot-3.2.17-1.fc20.x86_64
setroubleshoot-server-3.2.17-1.fc20.x86_64
xorg-x11-drv-wacom-0.23.0-4.fc20.x86_64
xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.14.4-7.fc20.x86_64
xorg-x11-server-common-1.14.4-7.fc20.x86_64

After the downgrade, I did an upgrade again excluding hicolor-icon-theme
(seems to the only relevant package here) and the desktop is still
working. My guess is that something in there messed everything.

Regards,
Marco.