Most Efficient Network File sharing protocol?

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Wed Mar 5 13:21:44 UTC 2014

"Patrick O'Callaghan" <pocallaghan at gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 2:34 AM, lee <lee at yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
>> As to NFS, I have had bad experiences with it, like network cards
>> freezing up and computers being halted because NFS failed for unknown
>> reasons.  I never got it to work reliably and would not recommend using
>> NFS for anything.
>
> I've used NFS reliably for over 20 years. I don't claim it's the best
> solution for every scenario, but I don't see how the use of a
> high-level protocol running on top of UDP or IP can freeze a network
> card. A bad driver or a hardware fault might, but that has nothing to
> do with NFS.

Yes, it was a cheap crappy network card with a realtek chip at first,
and changing it for a much better 3Com card didn´t solve the problem.
Freezes would occur when files were transferred with NFS and otherwise
not, and not only the network card was frozen.  You had to press the
reset button.  That was almost 20 years ago.

Some ppl say that NFS stands for "network failure system".  Since I have
experienced this 'feature' of NFS, I simply don´t recommend NFS, and I
don´t use it when it can be avoided.

It may still be the best solution for the OP or not.

--
Fedora release 20 (Heisenbug)