F19: Is this an httpd attack attempt?

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Wed Mar 5 12:47:51 UTC 2014

"Wolfgang S. Rupprecht" <wolfgang.rupprecht at gmail.com> writes:

> lee <lee at yun.yagibdah.de> writes:
>> Could someone please explain why/how this may be considered as an attack
>> or at least as something bad?  Someone requesting an URL from a web
>> server that doesn´t serve this URL --- or doesn´t serve the specified
>> domain at all --- could be caused by incorrect responses from name
>> servers, couldn´t it?
>>
>> What is it in particular that would distinguish the request in question
>> from others?
>
> This is not an attack, but someone fishing for information.  I
> understand that apache in some modes give you the first configured vhost
> when encountering a query like that.   Someone wanted to see if there
> was something juicy lying around.  The server served the URL "http://<vhost0>/"
> which was the index.{html,htm,php,etc} file in the vhost0 root directory.

Sorry, I still don´t understand.  You seem to imply that any request to
a web server which, for whatever reason, doesn´t serve the request or
doesn´t serve for the domain given in the request --- I´m not sure which
is in question here: the domain or the request --- can be considered as
an attempt to obtain information the requester is not supposed to have.

So far, my understanding has been that the requester is supposed to
receive a 4xx or 5xx error message/code when the server does not want to
or can not serve the request.

For instances when the web server gives a wrong answer to a request it
does not serve --- like sending the index page used with requests for a
different domain instead of indicating an error --- someone has
misconfigured the server, or there is a bug in the server.  Neither has
anything to do with the sender of the request, other than that they
receive a wrong answer.  It´s not the fault of the sender of the request
when the web server sends the wrong answer.

--
Fedora release 20 (Heisenbug)