Can't install ƒ20

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Wed Mar 5 18:21:04 UTC 2014

On Wed, Mar 05, 2014 at 03:58:48PM +0000, Liam Proven wrote:
> Hi there. First post from someone returning to the RH family fold for
> the first time since about 1996-1999, when I was a RHL user (v4 - v6
> full time on my servers, v7/8/9 reviewed for various magazines - then
> I switched to Caldera, then to SUSE and then to Ubuntu when it came
> out.)
>
> I'm trying to take a look at Fedora on real hardware as opposed to in
> a VM. This is on a machine that multi-boots Windows 7, Ubuntu 13.10,
> Crunchbang 11 and (used to) ElementaryOS.
>
> I am trying to install on /dev/sda. It's a 1TB HD - there's also a
> 120GB SSD as /dev/sdb with Ubuntu's root filesystem and Win7 on it.
>
> I have a pre-configured set of folders:
>
> /dev/sda10 /home 150GB
> /dev/sda11 (NTFS shared data) ~750GB
> /dev/sda5 / 16GB <- this is where I want to put Fedora; it used to be
> elementary's /
> /dev/sda6 (Crunchbang /) 16GB
> /dev/sda7 (FAT32, Windows pagefile) 8GB
> /dev/sda8 (Linux swap) 8GB
>
> So I need to tell Fedora to put root on sda5 and /home on sda10 and
> use sda8 for swap. I want the bootloader on sda5 as well. I'm
> currently using Ubuntu's GRUB, as it's my primary OS, but I plan to
> replace this with a standalone boot manager.
>
> I managed to get the Fedora installer to format sda5 but then, having
> 16GB of / + 150GB of /home and 8GB of swap, it said that it didn't
> have enough space for the 6.7GB of stuff it needed to install and
> crashed out with a series of Python errors.
>
> Now it can't "see"  a distro on sda5, it won't let me choose it as an
> option. I can't remove and recreate it, either - or at least, I can't
> see how. I also can't see how to tell it to put the bootloader in the
> root partition.
>
> Is it me, or is the installer just not flexible enough to cope with
> this sort of scenario?

I don't think the "new" Anaconda is as flexibled as the old one, so
it may well not allow you to do what you wanbt, But what I DO know
is that everything in the new installer is obscure as heck, 'specially
in the area of defining partitions and their usage. sometimes I
stumble around in there trying to make it do what I want for quite
a while.

                       I can do all things through Christ
                              who strengthens me.