VEry OT Ruby

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Thu Mar 6 00:11:58 UTC 2014

On 03/06/2014 02:33 AM, Bill Oliver wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Mar 2014, Roger wrote:
>
>> Thanks billo. They are on UberGlobal shared server virtual machine,
>> don't know how many static IP addresses, stacks of email addresses
>> heaps of database allowance and plenty of disk space for $300 a year
>> and get the greatest 24 hr email and phone support imaginable and
>> Uber security protocol is world class which is why they are so strict
>> about the original problem of not allowing Web frameworks and other
>> stuff.
>>

> Ah.  So, go to a provider that doesn't provide security, and do it
> yourself.  The bottom line is that there's an inverse relationship
> between security and usability, and every user has to find where they
> want to be on that curve.  Cotse, the place I use provides *nothing*
> other than the virtual machine and a (virtual) wire to it.  Any security
> is your responsibility.  That's the downside.  The upside is that you
> have absolute freedom to do whatever you want within the confines of
> your machine.
>
> billo
Thank you for all the most helpful discussion.
Further question, how does Heroku rate in the mix of expense versus
security? Has anyone had disturbing experiences.
I understand that Heroku is primarily Rails based and very good at it.

Just wondering about the above scenario. If they don't provide security
what keeps them from constant attack and infiltration/contamination?