man command question

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Sun Mar 9 15:41:53 UTC 2014

On 03/07/14 14:41, Joachim Backes wrote:
> On 03/06/2014 09:38 PM, Cameron Simpson wrote:

>>> It probably means what it says.  You can format man pages with a
>>> variable number of characters per line, hence you might have "(setq
>>> Man-width 75)" in your ~/.emacs to get a reasonably formatted display
>>> rather than one with the lines being too long for comfortable reading.
>>>
>>> Now say, you specify zero characters per line, and the software may
>>> suddenly have a hard time adjusting the lines.
>>
>> In case lee's unclear: the output of "man" isn't going to your terminal any
>> more, so it doesn't know how wide the output should be.
>
> Hi Cameron,
>
> Sounds reasonable.
>

>> Personally I would expect it to default to assuming an 80-column output and
>> format for that. But it appears not.
>
> I filed a BZ.

being that no one asked, i will.

why would someone send a man page to a null device?

to a printer, file, another terminal, yes. /dev/null, never.

because intent of 'man' is not to send output to /dev/null,
why should it written to do so?

such is not intent of 'man', therefore, i would not consider
doing such as a bug. other than person doing so. ;-)

--

peace out.

tc.hago.

.