security

Dustin Kempter dustink at consistentstate.com
Tue Mar 11 18:38:55 UTC 2014

We've looked in /var/log/messages, and in the /var/log/security file

No smoking gun, only thing we have so far is this:

In the postgres log we see this:
2014-03-07 15:58:09 MST [27223]: [18-1] db=,user=,host= LOG:  received
smart shutdown request

Indicating the db received a shutdown request, this can be only run 2 ways:
1) via pg_ctl as the postgres user
2) as a service as root

we looked at the .bash_history file for postgres and see no entries for
pg_ctl
however we do see the service stop command in the root .bash_history file,
but we have no
timestamps in the bash_history file

Are there other log files we can leverage for this search?