Saving Fedora when installing Windows?

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Mar 11 20:18:43 UTC 2014

On Mar 11, 2014, at 10:38 AM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net> wrote:

> I want to upgrade Windows XP on my laptop to Windows 7,
> but I'd like to be sure that I can get back to Linux afterwards.
> (I'm sure Windows installation will over-write the MBR.)

Which version of Fedora?

> One thing I tried without success in the past
> was to specify a USB stick when running grub2-install.

Sure, and then at the grub prompt you can use ls to find the designation for the drive and partition, then use configfile (hdx,msdosy)/grub2/grub.cfg which will produce the grub menu and let you boot. Then you can reinstall grub to the hard drive once booted.

Or you can just do this from Live Desktop written to a USB stick.

Chris Murphy