DNF vs. YUM

Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 13:41:48 UTC 2014

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 1:35 PM, Mark Haney <mhaney at practichem.com> wrote:

> So, let me get this straight, DNF doesn't check the (online?) repo
> metadata when I call 'sudo dnf update'?  That's how I'm reading this.
>  If that's true, why the devil not?

At a guess, for marketing reasons. People see apt as being quicker
than yum, and in a large part that's because it doesn't update
metadata where yum does, so people are comparing two different things.
I believe that not checking metadata is retarded and I don't think
we're right in moving to the same architecture. But it wouldn't
surprise me if that's the rationale.

Tet

--
"Java is a DSL for taking large XML files and converting them to stack
traces" -- Bulat Shakirzyanov