Nvidia Support

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Thu Mar 13 18:06:40 UTC 2014

On 03/13/2014 10:39 AM, CS DBA issued this missive:
> Hi All;
>
> My shiny new Thinkpad W540 is due to arrive tomorrow. I'm preparing what
> I think I might need for the Fedora 20 install.
>
> Nvidia support question, the W540 is equipped with this card:
> NVIDIA Quadro K1100M 2GB
>
> Anyone have any thoughts on the best video packages that would support
> this card?
> Is the nouveau driver sufficient, or would the kmod-nvidia driver be
> better?
> Do I need to download and install the Nvidia binaries?
>
> The screen on the laptop is a 1920x1080

 From http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/:

"Performance level selection (also known as "reclocking") is not
supported yet. Expect low 3D performance on laptops using a Tesla GPU
and all Fermi/Kepler cards. (see CodeNames)"

And buried inside the "CodeNames" link:

NVE0 family (Kepler)
First family to support using 4 monitors simultaneously on one GPU,
older generations had only 2 CRTCs.

Code name	Official Name
NVE7 (GK107)	GeForce GT (640[M], 645M, 650M, 710M, 720M, 730M, 740M,
		745M, 750M, 755M), GTX (650, 660M)
		Quadro 410, K500[M], K600, K1000[M], K1100M, K2000[M],
		                                     ^^^^^^
		NVS 510, 1000

So, yes, the card is supported by nouveau, but you'll have poor 3D
performance since the card is a "Kepler". I have a "Tesla" on THIS
machine so I use the kmod-nvidia stuff on it.