after upgrading fedora rawhide this morning, no graphical desktop

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Thu Mar 13 19:14:11 UTC 2014

On 03/13/2014 11:58 AM, Robert P. J. Day issued this missive:
> On Thu, 13 Mar 2014, Kevin Martin wrote:
>
>> On 03/13/2014 07:57 AM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>>
>>>    recently, i upgraded my ASUS G74S laptop to fedora rawhide and it
>>> was running nicely. then this morning, i did another "yum update",
>>> which appeared to update well over 200 packages (including a slightly
>>> newer kernel), after which, when i booted, i had no graphical desktop
>>> anymore, just the little blue and white fedora logo.
>>>
>>>    i can still switch to VC2 and log in at the command line (where i am
>>> now), so i can certainly check log files, but i don't see anything
>>> immediately amiss.
>>>
>>>    i rebooted both to the earlier rawhide kernel, and even back to the
>>> latest fedora 20 official kernel -- same result, the fedora logo in
>>> the middle of the screen on VC1, but the ability to log in on another
>>> virtual console.
>>>
>>>    has anyone else run into this? i have an nvidia graphics card, and
>>> am running the nouveau driver. i'll keep poking around the log files,
>>> and if you have any suggestions, i'm all ears.
>>>
>>> rday
>>>
>> Hmm, sounds similar to what I'm experiencing.  When you go into VC2
>> what does "lsmod | grep nouveau" show?  I've found that I've been
>> having to manually "modprobe nouveau modeset=1" since doing my
>> update about 4 days ago.  I'm not sure why nouveau won't load and I
>> find that if I don't set the modeset=1 when I do the manual modprobe
>> that I still can't get X.
>
>    hmmmm ... it's possible this is not related to rawhide at all, and
> is due to something silly i did earlier this morning. could the
> following be the cause?
>
>    in order to install drupal 8.x on my fedora (rawhide) system, i had
> to disable selinux ("setenforce 0"). i *think* that while selinux was
> thus disabled, i may have done "yum update", which would have of
> course updated those 200+ packages while my system was in permissive
> mode. once i saw i had a new kernel due to the update, i of course
> rebooted, which rebooted with selinux back in enforcing mode, and the
> problems started. simply putting selinux back into permissive mode
> fixed everything.
>
>    i'm by no means an selinux expert -- is that how i caused my
> problem?

It's possible. Generally speaking, files installed by an RPM should
have the correct selinux contexts set, but if a file is _generated_
by a scriptlet in the RPM, it may not have the correct context.

I'd recommend, as root "touch /.autorelabel" and reboot. That should
force the system to set the correct selinux contexts on your files.