BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for 22s! after recent update of Fedora 20

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sat Mar 15 06:12:08 UTC 2014

| From: The Walters <sbwalters0731 at gmail.com>

| After a recent update started seeing messages like what is listed below and
| now complete lock up. Tried going back 1 or 2 kernels but same issue.

I can't help you with the specific problem.

It is always good to google an error message.  Have you?  I'm not going
to try -- I'll leave that to you.

It would be a good idea to mention the actual kernel versions you've
tried.

Red Hat's bugzilla is a useful place to report errors.  I always like
to be a little confident before I report them.  So asking on the list
may be a good idea.

| Wondering if this is a hardware problem?

Why?  Because old kernels show the same problem yet you only noticed
it recently?  That's a good thought.  But Fedora kernels come out
frequently -- check the age of the oldest one you've tried.

Whenever I wonder about a hardware error, with non-specific symptoms,
I start memtest86 going overnight.  That makes me more confident about
the RAM at least.

Consider trying a really old kernel as another test.

Good luck!