BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for 22s! after recent update of Fedora 20

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sat Mar 15 18:21:45 UTC 2014

| From: The Walters <sbwalters0731 at gmail.com>

| I have tried the last 2 kernels and the 1st kernel that that was with the
| original release of Fedora 20 (I know this was a long shot) but no go.

That's as good.

| I also
| have the last Fedora 19 kernel install from before I did an upgrade to 20 and
| that starts okay with no issues but of course RPC Bind and the IPv4 firewall
| won't run with this after the upgraded (the system is an i386 system).

I don't understand this.  Do RPC Bind and IPv4 firewall require
something not in the f19 kernel?

What does "i386" mean?  Is this not i686 (the oldest Fedora
supports, I think?)?  I think that all Pentium 4 machines are a
superset of i686.  Or do you just mean "not x86_64"?

| Fedora 19 Kernel that works with no errors but can not use because of issues
| mentioned above
| 3.9.9-302
| Last 2
| 3.13.6-200
| 3.13.5-200
| Old/1st
| 3.11.10-301
| Fedora 19 Kernel that works with no errors but can not use because of issues
| mentioned above
| 3.9.9-302

Can you still boot your F19 installation?  If so, is it stable with
the recent F19 updates (which take you to 3.13.5-103.fc19)?

(I personally had problems with 3.13.5-103.fc19.x86_64 to do with the
nVidia proprietary driver so I have temporarily reverted to
3.13.5-101.fc19.x86_64 on one machine.)

====

Does your CPU support hyperthreading?  Is it enabled?  It might be
worth turning it off (in the BIOS) as an experiment.  That shouldn't
matter, but it might.

====

Kernel folks like to "bisect" to find kernel bugs.  That's really what
you are doing by trying multiple kernels.  But you haven't narrowed
the range a great deal.  Hard to do when you are limited to
off-the-shelf kernels.  You can find all the released Fedora kernels
(and many unreleased ones) in koji
<http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=8>