black-grey screen and how to add kernel nomodeset in F20?

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Sun Mar 16 01:21:15 UTC 2014

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 20:05:21 -0500 Ranjan Maitra
<maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have had this issue for a while (both in F19 and F20 -- really my
> only issue) on a Dell XPS 14. So, basically, after a while, and at
> unclear intervals, of lying in idle mode (and unrelated to any task I
> have been running from what I can tell), the screen goes black. Not
> the black that is when it it hibernated or shutdown, but a greyish
> black. The machine is unresponsive, however some key-presses set up by
> me do send it instructions to hibernate (and it does so). It does come
> back as if nothing happened, but for the hibernate.
>
> I wonder if this is caused by kernel modesetting (which has always been
> a sore point with almost everything I have had) so I was wondering if
> the nomodeset should be enabled? If so, how does one go about this on
> F20? (And of course, are there other explanations for this behavior?)
> There does not seem to be anything on the log files for me to clue in
> on.
>
> Many thanks for reading! And thanks also for any helpful suggestions!!

Sorry, I just realized that I do have nomodeset on my grub parameters
so that is clearly not a solution. Btw, this is how I put it in:

modified /etc/default/grub:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rd.md=0 rd.lvm=0 rd.dm=0 vconsole.keymap=us
$([ -x /usr/sbin/rhcrashkernel-param ] && /usr/sbin/rhcrashkernel-param
|| :) rd.luks=0 vconsole.font=latarcyrheb-sun16 resume=UUID="2f4e50c0-ec62-4318-ade2-3413cbcb1c35" nomodeset"

Then did:

grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

But clearly, no improvement. Maybe I will try without it in there?

Would still like some clarity on the answer to the screen issue.

Best wishes,
Ranjan