black-grey screen and how to add kernel nomodeset in F20?

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Sun Mar 16 01:37:06 UTC 2014

On 03/16/14 09:05, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> I have had this issue for a while (both in F19 and F20 -- really my
> only issue) on a Dell XPS 14. So, basically, after a while, and at
> unclear intervals, of lying in idle mode (and unrelated to any task I
> have been running from what I can tell), the screen goes black. Not
> the black that is when it it hibernated or shutdown, but a greyish
> black. The machine is unresponsive, however some key-presses set up by
> me do send it instructions to hibernate (and it does so). It does come
> back as if nothing happened, but for the hibernate.
>
> I wonder if this is caused by kernel modesetting (which has always been
> a sore point with almost everything I have had) so I was wondering if
> the nomodeset should be enabled? If so, how does one go about this on
> F20? (And of course, are there other explanations for this behavior?)
> There does not seem to be anything on the log files for me to clue in
> on.
>
> Many thanks for reading! And thanks also for any helpful suggestions!!

Shot in the dark, no pun intended, but your system does seem to recognize keyboard input.  The grayish screen would happen when the screen is "blanked" but the back-light is not turned off.  Almost seems like some sort of screensaver problem/issue.  Have you tried typing your password and enter?  (As I type this I wonder if once can hibernate from a screen saver.....).

--
Getting tired of non-Fedora discussions and self-serving posts