All-in-one laser printer recommendation

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Sun Mar 16 07:03:51 UTC 2014

On 03/15/2014 11:57 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> 4.  With a network printer, you want all your computers to have
> drivers.  In our household, that's a lot of installation compared with
> "let the distro do the work".  And it gets repeated with every update
> of the drivers and every version of the distro.

Download the driver once.  Copy it to each computer, putting it in
/home/someuser/Downloads.  Then, presuming that you've put /home on its
own partition and don't format it when you re-install, the drivers are
ready to be installed.  Of course, if you upgrade instead of doing a
clean install for every new version, this issue goes away.  Or, if none
of the above appeals to you, keep doing whatever you've done in the
past, but don't expect any sympathy from me when you complain about how
much trouble it is.  Your LAN, your computers, your choice.