black-grey screen and how to add kernel nomodeset in F20?

Ahmad Samir ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 10:02:48 UTC 2014

On 16 March 2014 04:09, Ranjan Maitra <maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 18:58:27 -0700 Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> wrote:
>
> > On 03/15/2014 06:55 PM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> > > I will try this out, but I have no screensavers installed on this XPS
> > > 14. (Btw, even Alt-F1-F2-F7, etc has no effect.)
> >
> > What you need is CTRL-ALT-F2.
>
> Sorry, thanks for correcting me, and yes, that is what I meant: it
> is sort of like second nature to me so I don't think about the exact
> keys to type. Anyway, it does not have an effect.
>
> What bothers me the most about all of this is that i do not have any
> clue at all as to what causes it, except that it has been on "idle" for
> an undetermined amount of time. Sometimes this amount of time is small,
> at other times, it has been large. There is no pattern from what I can
> tell.
>
> Anyway, I have gone back to removing nomodeset from my grub (though I
> doubt that this will make a difference).
>
> Ranjan

Searching online, it looks like this laptop has two graphics chips an
nvidia and an intel, right?

Which one of them are you using? if there's an option in the BIOS you might
want to try disabling the nvidia chip.

Note that if you're using the intel graphics card, booting with nomodeset
means the system will have to use the vesa driver, which is very basic. The
intel driver requires kernel mode setting to work IIUC.

Ahmad Samir