Backup question

CS DBA cs_dba at consistentstate.com
Sun Mar 16 18:29:16 UTC 2014

Hi All;

I have an rsync script to backup my entire system each time before I run
updates, as versions come & go I try and keep up with which top level
directories to backup knowing that some like /proc are virtual...

Here's my question:  If I simply backup all directories (including ones
like /proc & /media, etc) will the following work, or do I need to care
about specifically excluding the virtual directories?

1) run the rsync backup of ALL directories in /

2) boot to a problem (say a boot to a blank screen)

3) boot into single user mode

4) run the rsync based restore (restoring everything from step 1)

5) reboot into the previous system state

Thanks in advance