Help debugging / correcting wireless speed issue

CS_DBA cs_dba at consistentstate.com
Mon Mar 17 21:37:24 UTC 2014

On 03/17/2014 07:58 AM, CS_DBA wrote:

> On 03/17/2014 07:57 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> On 03/17/14 21:35, CS_DBA wrote:
>>> [root at localhost data]# iwconfig
>>> wlp3s0    IEEE 802.11abgn  ESSID:"Omega250"
>>>            Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.427 GHz  Access Point:
>>> F8:D1:11:BF:90:67
>>>            Bit Rate=121.5 Mb/s   Tx-Power=16 dBm
>>>            Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
>>>            Encryption key:off
>>>            Power Management:on
>>>            Link Quality=47/70  Signal level=-63 dBm
>>>            Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
>>>            Tx excessive retries:1068  Invalid misc:822 Missed beacon:0
>> Other than what I think may be a higher than normal Tx excessive
>> retries and Invalid misc this doesn't seem bad.
>>
>> Have you tried taking the laptop to a different location and trying
>> with another access point?  I know your MAC is working fine.  But
>> just to make sure it isn't an AP issue it may be a good thing to try.
>>

> I'll be doing this later today and report back,

Hi all;

I'm getting wildly inconsistent results... when I first connected to the
wireless at a client site today I got speeds up to 25Mbps!

Later the wireless disconnected and then cycled through asking me for
the password over and over and never connecting... since then the few
times I did get connected I could not even go to a web page, it tried
for awhile then disconnected again

Any help debugging this would be appreciated.  In the meantime, does
Fedora play well with USB wireless cards/devices? would it be worthwhile
to grab a USB wireless card while I try and work through this?

Thx