can't boot F19 system

pgaltieri . pgaltieri at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 05:15:07 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 9:37 PM, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com>wrote:

> On Mar 17, 2014, at 9:53 PM, "pgaltieri ." <pgaltieri at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> modprobe vfat
>
> returns with no messages at all.  The vfat module is not loaded.
>

> Seems important to find out why the kernel isn't loading fat.ko+vfat.ko.
>
> Emergency shell you can run:
> fsck.msdos -a /dev/sda1
>
> See where that gets you, and report back. There is no automatic FAT fsck
> at startup, which maybe is a bug since we're always mounting /boot/efi
> read-write.

complained about dirty bit being set and that backup version didn't match
current version.

> I'd like to see the result of a boot with boot parameters rhgb quiet
> removed, and systemd.log_level=debug added. And then use this:
>
> journalctl -xb -o short-monotonic > /mnt/usb/journal-debug.txt

Here's the link

 https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share?s=femLQ67TRQkjI3mhQQKx1c

It did not mount my external USB hard drive, but after loading the vfat
module it did mount my USB stick.

> And post that somewhere. I'd like to see the full debug info from systemd.
> Maybe it's trying to mount /boot/efi before /sysroot? Hard to imagine that.
>

> Here's a link to grub.cfg
>
> https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share?s=M-h6hV1bQcEinfQSrTkMsc
>

> That's normal.
>

> 2) System indicates it's powering off, however, system does not turn off
> it restarts and boots back to login screen
>

> What happens if you logout your user, change to a shell, login as root,
> and issue: poweroff

 ran poweroff at emergency mode prompt and system reset, did not power off.

> If that consistently works, and doing it with Mate's UI does not, then
> file a bug against Mate. If poweroff doesn't work either…
>

> 3) Try shutdown again - same result
>
> 4) Get frustrated :-)
>
> 5) Hit power button to turn off system.
>

> OK stop doing that.
>
> echo 1 >/proc/sys/kernel/sysrq
> echo r >/proc/sysrq-trigger
> echo e >/proc/sysrq-trigger

echo i >/proc/sysrq-trigger

 Got to this point and system reset.

echo s >/proc/sysrq-trigger
> echo u >/proc/sysrq-trigger
> echo o >/proc/sysrq-trigger
>
> If that reboots instead of powers off, then it's probably a kernel bug and
> you should file a bug against the kernel. I'd check to make sure your UEFI
> firmware is up to date first.
>
> If it does power off, but the poweroff command does not, then your problem
> might be a systemd bug.

With debug turned on I keep seeing messages like the following

USB disconnect, device number 15
new low-speed USB device number 16 using xhci_hcd

The number 15 and 16 keep incrementing about 5 seconds apart.

This device is my USB optical mouse

Paolo