fc20 wireless networking problem

Luke Nath lukenath at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 18 23:05:38 UTC 2014

Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 11:28:58 +0800
From: ed.greshko at greshko.com
To: users at lists.fedoraproject.org
Subject: Re: fc20 wireless networking problem

    On 03/18/14 11:13, Luke Nath wrote:

      Upgraded from fc18 to fc20 using fedup.

        Most went well. I had to restart the process because of a
        transient

        disk issue (Drive went to sleep).

        After that all was done and I rebooted. It booted into the fedup
        kernel

        to finish and complete the update.

        After that I rebooted into the fc20 kernel.

        Found that wpa_supplicant is no longer able to pair with the

        wifi router. I am getting error:

        wls01: Association request to the driver
            failed

        The options to wpa_supplicant are (among other things):

        -iwls01 -Dwext -B -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
        ....etc

        Would the networking gurus on this list please help me analyze

        this problem? Let me know what other info you need?

    Since you mentioned you had to restart the fedup process I would
    first make sure the upgrade completed fully.

    Some things to do....

    rpm -qa | grep fc18

    package-cleanup --dupes   to check for duplicate packages installed

    After checking that, and assuming all OK, I would provide the list
    with details on your wireless hardware.

Strange ...

I booted a fedora CD into rescue mode, opened a shell and ran fsck on /sdb2 (the root partition of fedora, as sda1 is windows).
It cleaned up lot's of unclaimed blocks.

I rebooted fc20 into multiuser mode and lo and behold, wireless lan
was OK.
For the record, the wireless card is:
# lspci | grep -i atheros
00:0b.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR5416 Wireless Network Adapter [AR5008 802.11(a)bgn] (rev 01)