All-in-one laser printer recommendation

Robin Laing MeSat at TelusPlanet.net
Wed Mar 19 04:39:59 UTC 2014

On 2014-03-15 07:45, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> I'm on the lookout for a reliable all-in-one mono laser printer to use
> under Fedora. Must be networked, preferably wireless, and both print
> and scan functions must be supported with standard tools (CUPS etc.)
>
> The Samsung  Xpress M2070W looks like a good all-rounder but I'm
> unsure about Linux support. Google seems to show a variety of
> opinions.
>
> Anyone have one of these beasties, or have an alternative to recommend?
>
> poc

We don't use mono at home but just for your information.

At home, after years of expensive cartridges and issues with inkjets we
went laser.  Wanted duplex as I print handouts that are double sided and
duplex saves precious time.

We use HP Laserjet Pro 400's at work for personal printers.  This is an
MFP printer.  If you do lots of scanning, the scanner is auto feed and
duplex.

Setting it up was a dream.  Plug printer into the network, set IP
address if you don't us DHCP.  Install hplip with yum.  Start the
printer tool and find the printer.  You may have to put in the IP
address of the printer.

For scanning, there is a file that the printer tool downloads from HP
and installs.  Works with xsane.

My daughter purchased a colour Samsung all in one and setup it up and
installed it herself.  She said it was easier than expected.  Plugged in
the USB cord and Fedora 19 recognized it and asked to print a test page.
  Done.