can't boot F19 system

pgaltieri . pgaltieri at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 17:24:50 UTC 2014

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 11:06 PM, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com>wrote:

> On Mar 18, 2014, at 6:19 PM, pgaltieri . <pgaltieri at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > When I looked at the grub.cfg the enforcing=0 was there.
>
> In you previous email this URL contains a log with a command line that
> doesn't include enforcing=0.
> https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share?s=4LDATpk0T3IoK1jb-pKshY
>

> > rpm -q selinux-policy
> >
> > selinux-policy-3.12.1-74.18.fc19.noarch
>
> selinux-policy-3.12.1-74.19.fc19 is stable as of four days ago. There's a
> newer kernel stable also.
>

> > I ran shutdown from the Mate login panel and again the system did not
> powerdown.
> >
> > Here's the shutdown log from doing a shutdown from mate.
> >
> > https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share?s=Tfn2AX3zTZAn01Ljxcsc0c
>
> OK keep these additions to boot params, with one addition:
>  systemd.log_level=debug systemd.log_target=kmsg log_buf_len=1M
> enforcing=0 systemd.unit=rescue.target
>

> echo 1 >/proc/sys/kernel/sysrq
> echo s >/proc/sysrq-trigger
> echo u >/proc/sysrq-trigger
> echo o >/proc/sysrq-trigger
>
> Does that power down the laptop? If not, it's probably a kernel bug. I'd
> a bug against the kernel noting the last kernel it works with and the first
> one it doesn't. Note the computer make/model, and firmware version, and the
> fact it's UEFI.
>
> If it does power it off, then test the same boot parameter but use the
> poweroff command instead of the sysrq trigger.

The above series of commands do not power off the system, it resets it.
Same with the poweroff command.

What's strange is I was running 3.13.5-103 kernel without issues until I
turned the power off by hitting the switch.

I tried 2 earlier kernels, 3.12.11-201 and 3.13.5-101.  Both of these
worked, i.e. the system went straight to the graphical login and a shutdown
resulted in the system powering off.  What's interesting is that I tried
the 3.13.5-101 kernel a couple of days ago and it went straight to rescue
mode as well.  I also checked and all modules got loaded so it looks like I
can boot the older kernel and try to do an update and see if the most
recent kernel exhibits the same problem.

A couple of other issues. First when I boot the kernel with the above
recommended options it looks like I get 2 shells.

What I see is the following:

Welcome to emergency mode! After logging in, type "journalctl -xb" to view
Welcome to rescue mode! Type "systemctl default" or ^D to enter default
mode.
system logs, ......

After I provide my password I get the expected prompt, when I hit return I
get another password prompt, another return gives me the command prompt
again.  I can't type any commands in.  If I do Ctrl-Alt-Delete, and wait a
while, then I manage to have only one password prompt.   The other issue is
that when I plug my USB stick in the kernel detects it, since I see the
messages on the console, however, it doesn't create a device node and
running fdisk -l does not show the device.

I'm going to remove the systemd.unit=rescue.target parameter

The laptop firmware is for sure up to date?

The system was purchased in December of 2013, but I have not checked for an
update.