UEFI oddity.

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed Mar 19 21:03:22 UTC 2014

On Mar 19, 2014, at 10:02 AM, Mark Haney <mhaney at practichem.com> wrote:

> Typically, these systems come with a restore partition for Windows
> (whatever the version).  What I want to know is how many Windows
> 'drives' are listed when you boot it into Windows.

blkid will show label and file system, mounting them and using 'tree -x -L 2 <mountp>' will give some idea of what they contain.

> (Unless, of course, you want to blow the whole thing away and start
> over, then this is a non-issue.)

It's possible one of the partitions contains the hardware tester. It could be on the EFI System partition as a standalone firmware driven utility, or it could be on another partition or even integrated into the manufacturer's software restore utility. It's worth keeping around somewhere in particular if it's not downloadable, which actually is irritatingly common.

Chris Murphy