NVidia/Gnome Manager issues

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 15:45:35 UTC 2014

On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 09:42:59 -0400
"Weiner, Michael" <weinerm at ccf.org> wrote:
> One of my questions is, is it better to use the NVidia drivers from
> NVidia (eg NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.49.run I believe these are the
> latest for this card) or use the kmod/akmod and related nvidia
> packages from rpmfusion?

Definitely the kmod driver from rpmfusion, forget nVidia's .run file.

> And would having the latter packages on the
> machine cause any conflicts?

Installing nVidia's .run package will create various conflicts and
problems when updating the graphics libraries from the regular Fedora
repos.

Rpmfusion's kmod package was created precisely to address the issues
of nVidia's original driver, and to repackage it for painless and
maintenance-free use on Fedora.

The akmod package was created for those people who cannot wait 24hrs
before running the latest kernel (I found very few --- if any ---
legitimate reasons for doing that). The kmod driver can hit the repos
up to a day behind the latest kernel update, and if you absolutely
cannot do without that latest kernel during that one day, you can use
the akmod package, which will autocompile the nVidia's driver on reboot
into the new kernel. This usually takes several minutes to complete,
and sometimes people think that their machine hung during boot. And
then they hard-reset the machine in the middle of the compile process.
And then the thing starts to compile again on next reboot. And after
several tries they come here to complain that after a regular update
their machine hangs on boot. And then other people here go on a
witch-hunt for the offending package. And then...

You get the point. :-)

So follow the instructions on http://rpmfusion.org/Howto/nVidia , use
the kmod package, and you're good.

HTH, :-)