Maybe O/T: Cloned dual boot HDD using Clonezilla now XP won't boot

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Thu Mar 20 16:42:52 UTC 2014

On 03/20/2014 07:06 AM, Mark Haney issued this missive:

> On 03/20/14 05:26, Gary Stainburn wrote:
>

>> Can anyone point me to a possible answer. Is it something I need to
>> do to GRUB or is it XP that has the problem? I think it may be the
>> former as XP doesn't even seem to start.
>>

> I'll take a stab at it.  How big is the WinXP partition?  IIRC, XP
> didn't really like big boot partitions.  If WinXP can't find the HDD,
> it may be the drive geometry is beyond what XP can handle.
>
> (Like a said, just a stab. I've never been good with knives.)

I missed this bit, but are you using a GPT (parted) or MBR partition
table? The MBR mechanism has a 2TB/disk limit (using 512-byte sectors).
If you bump the sector size to larger (e.g. 4KB), then it becomes 16TB.
Problem is that WinXP doesn't understand GPT, so if you're using GPT
you can't use XP. Later versions of Winblows (Vista, 7, 8, etc.) do
understand GPT.

Also remember that after April 8, XP support ends. I think you can buy
a Win 8 OEM DVD for about $125 and I think you can update your existing
XP to that without losing data. If not, then use Linux to back up your
XP data and install fresh, but get the devil off Winblows XP.