VIP Manager suggestions

CS_DBA cs_dba at consistentstate.com
Thu Mar 20 16:51:59 UTC 2014

On 03/20/2014 07:37 AM, Mark Haney wrote:

So we're looking at database failover, application connections to the db
are via I.P.'s (or aliases) we can of course use ifconfig and
create/destroy aliases and thus "move" the IP aliases at failover time,
however I would like to leverage a tool so the IP alias move can be both
seamless and executable via command(s) on a single server.

With ifconfig aliases we need to do the following in the failover script:
- execute the ifdown  on the old / failed master server (probably via
commands over ssh)
- validate that the ip alias came down
- execute the ifup of the alias on the slave (going to be the new master
shortly)
- verify that it came up
- then finish the db failover

It would be keen if I could execute a single command like we do with
amazon elastic ip's or RackSpace virtual ip's...

Thoughts?